Our client is building out a cross-chain Defi lending protocol powered by Polkadot. The protocol has numerous previously unseen, technically sophisticated smart contract features which together support a unique token model specifically designed to drive powerful network effects and outcompete sector peers in attracting liquidity.
They are expanding its engineering team, which is wholly supported by existing dev personnel, and so is now seeking a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to bring additional world class capability to the business.
The CTO will join an executive team with enormous breadth and depth in developing digital platforms for both the blockchain and FinTech sectors and who have between them created billions in shareholder value while launching numerous startups that have become global category leaders.
This role will suit individuals with deep tech blockchain experience who find personal inspiration in leading high performance engineering teams to build our best-of-class technological products and who flourish doing so in rapidly moving environments in which constant innovation is a must.
Company culture as described by executives is almost always entirely aspirational and in our view of little value. Cutting through, it’s largely BS. We’d like to think we’re somehow different but believing so is near delusional. Nevertheless, we want an incoming CTO to better understand who we are, so we’re going to try anyway.
What matters most at work for us as a whole-of-business team is not just what we do but rather who we do it with. We all thoroughly enjoy working with the people we do.
Our executive team is committed to the design of our culture being one which fundamentally empowers people to flourish and deliver extraordinary outcomes in their work, is consultative and inclusive and enables people to contribute, and importantly fosters an environment in which all of our team experience being safe.
Delivering on that requires at a minimum executives with the courage and authenticity to be open and real plus the self-confidence borne from experience to naturally and easily state “I don’t know” or “I got it wrong” in front of others, knowing it doesn’t mean anything about them. For those seeking perfection, we’re not the right place.
The CTO, as an executive in the business, needs to be someone aligned with such values and principles and not as an ignored headline, but as a leader who with our people walks their talk.
This position is full-time and primarily based in Tallinn, Estonia. We say primarily because for the right individual the ability to remotely work for periods of time throughout the year does exist, subject to the engineering team meeting certain performance benchmarks.
For this senior role, we’re dedicated to finding a deeply experienced and knowledgeable CTO to provide technical leadership towards the development and maintenance of the protocol. The CTO should be a strategic thinker, have a strong track record in the FinTech and blockchain industry, be well-versed in the Ethereum and Polkadot technology stacks, and understand the value DeFi plays within the blockchain industry.
Such a CTO will understand and use agile development methodologies to lead a team of engineers that implement, validate, secure, and maintain the capabilities of the protocol and work intimately with the rest of the executive team setting the business’s strategic direction.
- Lead, manage and be responsible for all strategic technology related decisions in the business
- Lead and manage communication with external technology partners
- Effectively lead the development team to deliver high value outcomes on tight delivery timelines
- Inspire, mentor and lead by example the engineering team to provide an empowering work context that has individual team members flourish in performing at their optimum
- Identify and troubleshoot platform shortcomings
- Identify and evaluate competitor products and the competitive landscape
- Be aware of the latest technology developments and implement those that yield competitive advantages for the protocol
- Verifiable 5 years experience as Chief Technology Officer, Technology Director or similar, preferably in FinTech and/or blockchain companies
- Profound knowledge of Blockchain domain (technical and business aspects)
- Exceptional communication and team leading skills
- Superb understanding of the technological aspects of the cryptocurrency, DeFi and FinTech landscapes
- Demonstrated ability to build out and manage world class engineering teams
- Strong track record building quality assurance and data protection processes
- Deep expertise in blockchain technology and the Ethereum and Polkadot technology stacks
- A world class team building out a best of class DeFi ecosystem
- A senior executive position in a team with strong strategic impact in the vision of the business
- Full relocation expenses covered by the company
- Generous and highly flexibly travel policy linked to this role
- Highly competitive salary, token package intended to empower and motivate