Our client is an actively growing company, operating in a Bitcoin mining sector since 2017. The company currently operates five data centers (three of which are owned) outside the U.S. with the total running power capacity of 150 MW, which makes them one of the world’s biggest companies in the sector. By Apr 2022, they plan to have 360 MW and 50 MW of data center capacity in the U.S. and Sweden, respectively. The source of power will be low-carbon energy, e.g. renewable energy, natural gas and green hydrogen.
At present, they are looking for an ESG Director to increase corporate responsibility with regard to environmental (primarily carbon offsetting), social, and governance issues.
Reporting line: COO
You will be a senior member of a team and, as such, will play a large part in the future development of the business in the United States, Nordics, and Kazakhstan. As an ESG Director, you will report directly to the COO.
We expect from you a strong interest in the data center industry with experience and knowledge of specific issues such as (1) development of carbon reduction plans; (2) environmental regulations and standards; (3) project management and corporate strategy; (4) data center operations.
You will be responsible for supervising ESG practices implementation across the company’s facilities as well as analyzing potential data center sites globally to enable the most environmentally friendly growth of the company’s business, including:
- Formalizing and adopting policies formulating the corporate ESG strategy
- Establishing and managing a committee responsible for formal oversight of environmental risks and opportunities; writing down formal rules of such oversight. Reporting on the company’s ESG issues, risks, and opportunities to the COO
- Assessing materiality of ESG issues based on feedback from stakeholders, subject matter experts, and industry benchmarks. Performing surveys and analysis to gather the relevant information
- Establishing ESG eligibility criteria and goals for the company across all facilities
- Enabling the control framework to monitor ESG performance across the facilities and implementing the metrics into decision-making to align the company’s performance with internal and global ESG goals
- Analyzing potential data center sites in terms of ESG (access to low-carbon energy, energy efficiency, etc.). Sourcing cost-effective solutions to be implemented in the company’s facilities
- Designing and running internal programs to offset the company’s carbon footprint and managing current CO2 emissions. Visiting the data center sites to supervise implementation of metering equipment
- Managing participation of the company in ESG-related organizations. Managing applicable certifications related to ESG performance of the company
- Effectively communicating ESG performance outcomes of the company to the public
- Working closely with technical and investment teams on analyzing, undertaking and closing transactions
- Leading other ESG-related initiatives
Qualifications and competences:
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university
- At least five years of business development or product management experience in a high carbon footprint industry
- Evidence of successful project development and full lifecycle management; experience in leading transformation and cultural change
- Ability to comprehend, develop and effectively execute business plans, account portfolio management and opportunity analyses
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business documents (terms and conditions, technical procedures, etc.)
- Ability to track and manage product P&L after launch
- Familiarity with data center and cryptomining operations
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills (C-level)
- Able to broadcast with transparency both internally and externally
- Highly organized with a high level of attention to detail