Head of Compliance & MLRO – Cryptoexchange – Malta
Our client owns two exchanges and is registered in Malta, coming under the MFSA regulations largely based on EU and UK financial services laws. This role covers both businesses. The company operates a Crypto to Fiat pairs exchange competing with Kraken, Bitstamp and Gemini, operating under the VFAA (Virtual Financial Assets framework), and a Securities (digital assets) to fiat currency exchange, (non crypto) that is going through a MiFID MTF license.
The company has also established a US entity in Wyoming to address the US markets and has integrated with custodians, banking partners and liquidity providers.
Reporting to the Founders, the Head of Compliance & MLRO will hold an important leadership role and be responsible for leading the compliance decision-making efforts across the group.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures to assure compliance with applicable legal and regulatory obligations including customer onboarding procedures
- Support the MiFID application process handling the relationship with Grant Thornton (our legal advisers) and the Maltese Financial Sevices Regulator (MFSA).
- Manages day-to-day operation of the compliance and MLRO function and work closely with the operations and trading functions
- Develop regular monitoring procedures and practices to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of internal systems of control and measures implemented by the Group;
- Drive and implement changes to efficiently conduct Compliance and mitigate any AML/CTF risks;
- Ensure Compliance with applicable laws and regulations, internal rules and group policies and standards;
- Ensure focused, sound, robust communication with the national regulatory bodies where the company operates;
- Maintain compliance registers as required by statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Monitor regulatory developments in the cryptocurrency, trading and exchanges jurisdictions worldwide and report on their effect on the business;
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future;
- Work with the operations team and report on trading and operational activities that
- Develop an effective training programs, including appropriate introductions to new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers;
- Provide day to day advice to the business on compliance and regulatory requirements
- Competitive remuneration
- Stock Options in the company
- Bonus structure
Desired Skills and Experience
- +10 years experience in compliance in the Captial Markets, ideally knowledge, and understanding of Crypto Capital markets
- experience with working alongside a fast moving trading function
- experience in communicating with the Regulators and managing third-party relationships with advisors and legal firms
- experience of, and awareness of the MiFID process and ideally handling the licensing process
- experienced team manager
- hold an appropriate qualification in compliance or AML/CFT/fraud prevention
- good working knowledge of KYC and AML processes
- familiar with the screening of clients
- fluent in English; any other language will be considered an advantage
- a team player
Reach out to Michael Shlayen with your CV in case of interest – firstname.lastname@example.org