Hiro builds developer tools for Stacks, the network that enables apps and smart contracts on Bitcoin.
Hiro is a core entity within the Stacks Ecosystem; a collection of independent entities, developers, and community members working to create a user-owned internet on Bitcoin. Hiro empowers developers with the tools they need to innovate and build on Bitcoin, the most secure and proven blockchain in the world. We contribute to Stacks’ core infrastructure and open-source libraries and build products like the Stacks Wallet and Stacks Explorer.
Hiro is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our remote-first platform & devops engineering teams. This will be a critical role for the organization as we work to launch our Hiro Developer Platform. In this role, you will work closely with all parts of the engineering organization, empowering our engineers to deliver against our product goals. You’ll drive day-to-day execution across your teams, navigate cross team dependencies, ensure work is unblocked, and remove roadblocks. In partnership with our talent team, you’ll also be responsible for hiring and scaling your team to ensure you have the resources needed to deliver.
What you’ll do
- Lead our platform and devops team responsible for, among other things: the Stacks Blockchain API, stacks.js, contributing to the Stacks Blockchain, & devops
- Mentor and work with your teams to identify opportunities for growth and professional development
- Partner with product managers and internal stakeholders to lay out the technical strategy for delivering on key components of the Hiro Platform
- Take an active role in hiring and building your engineering team as we aim to double the team in the next 12 months
- Work with leadership team to improve processes and contribute to org-wide initiatives
- Embody Hiro’s values and build a healthy, engaged culture within the team
- Ensure timely execution of your teams projects with an eye for quality, velocity, and communication w/ stakeholders
- Be an evangelist for Hiro, helping establish awareness for the Hiro Platform and build our employment brand
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years of engineering management experience, ideally you’ve had experience hiring & managing managers
- Experience managing fully-remote teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage execution on complex projects: planning and estimation; navigating complex dependencies; de-risking unknown unknowns; managing expectations.
- Ability to hire, mentor and coach outstanding talent. Ideally, experience hiring and onboarding candidates remotely.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Skilled at managing up and across, working with product & technical leads, interacting with senior leadership.
We'd also love to see:
We’d love to hear from you even if you don’t have experience or interest in every bullet.
- Experience in the crypto/blockchain space or a deep curiosity of the landscape
What we’ll offer
Please note that benefits vary by country, the ones shown above are for our full time U.S. based employees.
Hiro was founded in 2013 under the name Blockstack PBC and is headquartered in New York City with employees and contractors distributed across the globe. Hiro is funded and backed by more than $75 million from Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, Lux Capital, Winklevoss Capital, Naval Ravikant, and many more. More info here.
Hiro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and deeply cares about building a diverse team. Hiro is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law.
- Competitive NYC based Salary(regardless of location, benchmarked annually)
- Company equity and Stacks(STX) tokens--STX is the native cryptocurrency of the Blockstack network
- $500/mo co-working space reimbursement
- $1,200/yr budget for learning and development stipend
- $1000/yr of charity donation matching to an organization of your choosing
- Daily Lunch Reimbursement(even if you’re remote!)
- Open Vacation Policy, take the days you need
- Family-Friendly Health Benefits
- Free Life and Disability Insurance
- Health and dependent care(FSA)
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401k with 3% match
- Your choice of technical setup and equipment